What is Common Admission Test?
Common Admission Test (CAT) is national-level management entrance examination conducted on a rotational basis each year where the responsibility of conducting CAT is given to one of the IIMs.
This year IIM Bangalore is going to take the responsibility of conducting the same on December 4, (forenoon and afternoon sessions). Professor Rajendra K Bandi, Decision Sciences and Information Systems; Chairperson Admissions & Financial Aid, will be the convener of CAT 2016.
CAT is the only MBA exam which provides the ladder to the best institutes of India which are IIM’s. CAT scores are used for admission to various management courses across the country and will be accepted at the top B-schools that have a combined seat of around 3750.
The CAT exam is held by 19 IIMs and the admission in colleges are completely based on merit list in the exam.
Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Calcutta, Lucknow, Raipur,
Bodh Gaya, Shillong, Bangalore,
Kashipur, Indore, Tiruchirapalli,
Ranchi, Kozhikode, Rohtak,
Nagpur, Sambalpur, Visakhapatnam, Sirmaur, Udaipur
CAT 2016 Exam Pattern And Syllabus:
CAT exam duration has been increased from 170 mins to 180 mins. Previously, it consisted of 2 sections – Quantitative Aptitude and Verbal and Reading Comprehension.
From this year CAT 2016 is going to be held in completely new form.
- The number of questions per section could vary and this has been one of the surprise elements in the CAT format.
- The candidate cannot switch between sections while answering.
- This time, CAT will be having some Non – MCQ type question with an on-screen calculator to help solve the direct answer based questions
The topics under each section are mentioned below:
|Geometry, Trigonometry, Probability, Number System, Permutation & Combination, Speed, Time and Distance, Profit and Loss, Logarithmic Equations, HCF and LCM, Ratio, Quadratic and Linear Equations, Algebra, Mensuration, Percentages, progressions, Complex Numbers, Simple and Compound Interest etc.|
|Tables, Graphical Representations, Charts and any diagrammatic Representation.
Logical Games, Calendars, Cubes, Clocks, Blood Relations, Seating Arrangements, Venn Diagrams, Cubes, Binary Logic.
|Critical Reasoning, Paragraph Forming, Grammar, Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension, Antonyms and Synonyms, Idioms.|
CAT 2016 Eligibility Criteria
- The candidate has to have a bachelor degree in any branch from well-established and recognized University.
- The aspirant must have secured 50% mark in qualifying examination but the score can be 45% in case of SC/ST.
- All the final year students can also register for this test.
Reservations of Seats:
As per the Government of India:
- 15% – Seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC)
- 7.5% – Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates
- 27% – Seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the “non – creamy” layer (NC – OBC)
- 3% – Seats are reserved for Differently Abled (DA) candidates.
Some of the Important Dates:
Start Date of Online Application – 8th August, 2016
Last date to submit the application form – 22nd September, 2016
Admit Card Download Date – 18th October, 2016
CAT 2016 Exam Date – 4th December, 2016
Result Announcement Date – Second week of January, 2017
CAT is only the first hurdle that needs to be passed with high percentile to enter the steps of top MBA colleges. Further, the aspirants are going to face Group discussion or Written Ability Test and Personal Interview to pass through to get a seat.